Digital marketing is both fun and a great way to get more customers for your business. It has become an integral part of any successful digital marketing strategy.
There are many interesting digital marketing facts that you’ll want to know in order to stay on top of what’s happening in the industry.
These powerful digital marketing statistics will give you insight into the current state of e-commerce that can help you refine your tactics.
From consumer behaviour to search engine optimization, these facts about digital marketing offer valuable insights into the success of this powerful form of advertising.
Whether you’re just starting out or a seasoned professional, taking a look at these key digital marketing statistics will help provide helpful information that will help make your business even more successful.
Through these amazing top digital marketing facts, let’s dive into it all, from AI algorithms and targeted ads, to search engine optimization tactics and everything in between.
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is the practice of using online tools and strategies to discover, engage, and appeal to an audience with the intention of converting them into purchasers of a service or product.
This kind of internet video marketing rather than traditional marketing campaigns incorporates multiple digital channels so as to reach today’s consumers and hopeful customers.
If you would like to know what types of channels make up this sort of promotion, here are some examples of digital marketing:
- Email Marketing/ Marketing Automation
- Social Media Marketing
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Content marketing
- Conversion Rate Optimization
- Online advertising
- Pay Per Click (PPC)
- Inbound Marketing
Now that you are further informed about digital marketing, let’s explore the reasons why it is so crucial for helping grow your business to expand and generate revenue online.
What are the Benefits of Digital Marketing?
Wondering why digital marketing is so important? Here are just a few of the merits for small business holders:
1. Lower Cost
The digital marketing budget or such marketing spend is lower than that of conventional marketing. If implemented correctly, the return on your investment in digital advertising will be remarkable.
One factor for this is channeling promotional resources to online spaces where people usually stay, which leads to a greater level of quality in generated leads.
2. Global Reach
Operating an enterprise online decreases costs while widening the potential customer base on a global scale.
3. Potential for Viral Content
The capacity for content to go viral on the internet allows for social media sharing of content, potentially bringing extra clients with only a little added cost.
4. Measurable Results
The ability to track progress is definitively greater with digital marketing compared to traditional methods, mostly because there are a multitude of analytics tools available. These tools can give precision when it comes to forming analytics or Google analytics.
5. Keep up with the Competition
Staying ahead of the competition is essential – customers are now expecting companies, small businesses, and services to have an online presence.
Digital marketing is exceptionally effective for small businesses due to personalization having the power to customize a customer’s experience based on their particular interests.
This makes it possible to provide customers with offers tailored to their individual profiles at the page level, which is determined by behaviour.
Digital marketing is undeniably a great path to boost your business online, but if you’re unsure what to do first, then let’s understand who is taking action on the internet, by observing some facts about digital marketing.
Why are Digital Marketing Facts Important?
Demonstrating the point of our work with digital advertising stats is essential, but there are additional reasons why choosing data-driven solutions in advertising is so important as well:
- Utilizing data can help guide you in cultivating a multi-channel marketing approach. By looking at the statistics, you will be better enabled to decide which platforms may need more attention than others. Once armed with figures that support your choices, you will be able to adjust your resources accordingly.
- Staying competitive necessitates utilizing digital marketing statistics. Employing these numbers enables you to be familiar with how others are executing their strategies, allowing you to get an edge over your rivals.
- As a business owner or digital marketer, it is imperative to stay informed of the newest trends. Data can help you recognize certain patterns and trends in digital marketing that could potentially enable you to come up with better approaches or platforms to become an early adopter.
- Using data gives you space to explore a multitude of tactics. Understanding digital marketing metrics ensures that you are sure of what works and can redirect your efforts to planning other tasks, like website surveying! Needless to say, all digital marketing attempts will prove to be futile without a sturdy website.
Digital Marketing Statistics for 2023
Here is list of digital marketing statistics:
- Nearly half of internet-employed adults indicated that digital technology has transformed the way they labor, with 52% expressing it had impacted their contact with colleagues and 36% confirming that it influenced their work hours. The expected annual growth rate of digital marketing from 2020 to 2026 is estimated at 9%.
- The digital display should experience a CAGR of 15.5%, while the search is expected to climb by 12.2%. Search amounts to 40.9% of the worldwide digital advertising and marketing industry.
- In the past year, 63% of businesses have augmented their digital marketing expenditures.
- Between 2020 and 2021, there was a hike in digital marketing expenditure by 14%.
- 70% of content developers are producing more content than what they generated the year before.
- 96% of adults utilizing online platforms make use of social media on a habitual basis.
- The Return on Investment (ROI) rate for Pay-Per-Click (PPC) is at 200%, with a return of $2 for every dollar spent.
- The highest-earning ad channels are Facebook Ads and Google Ads.
- 49% of businesses find that organic search provides the most lucrative marketing ROI.
- Additionally, social media referral traffic is mainly driven by Facebook.
- As for digital information capacity, stacking a pile of CD-ROMs would reach beyond 80,000 km from the moon.
- Digital channels command 72% of all marketing budgets, while overall 55% of all marketing is done digitally.
- $436 billion was spent in 2021 on digital advertising compared to $196 billion on offline ads.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics suggests that jobs in marketing are projected to grow 10%, above average for all occupations; also, customer marketing managers and search marketing managers were both deemed some of the fastest-growing jobs in 2022 by CNBC.
- According to averages, local businesses allocate 5–10% of their income towards their digital budget whereas larger companies invest 14%.
- Furthermore, customers are 50% more likely to spend money with companies that answer reviews and 93% read online reviews prior to deciding on a purchase.
- Lastly, 45% prefer buying online to picking up in-store, and 75% measure how their campaigns influence revenue.
Email Marketing Statistics
It cannot be overlooked how impactful email marketing is, generating $44 in returns for every $1 spent. Statistics like that make concentrating your digital marketing efforts by using email marketing outreach an essential part of running a thriving business online.
- The email marketing market is worth about $9.62 billion right now, and it is expected to grow to $17.9 billion by 2027.
- As of 2024, the number of global email users is forecast to reach 48 billion.
- Data from GetResponse indicates that welcome emails have an open rate of 82%.
- According to HubSpot, 91% of email users have unsubscribed from company emails to which they had previously subscribed.
- OptinMonster reported that in a year an incredible 102.6 trillion emails are sent and received, with the figure continuously increasing.
- IBM showed that forty-nine percent of all emails are opened on mobile devices, while Statista recorded fifty-four percent as classified as spam mailings.
- Profiting from marketing automation can lead to a more than fifty percent increment in conversion rates, and email is significantly better than Facebook or Twitter in obtaining customers by up to forty times.
- Almost half of the consumers claimed they would want promotional emails delivered consistently from their preferred brands (Statista).
- According to Experian Marketing, targeted emails see a 6x higher transaction rate than those without, though only 30% of companies use them.
- Moreover, MarketingSherpa cites that 60% of customers subscribe to company lists so as to get promotional info and offers.
- Sending 3 abandoned cart emails yields 69% more orders than one lone email, which helps reduce the abandonment rate on shopping orders.
- The most successful strategies for email campaigns are segmentation of subscribers (78%), personalization of messages (72%), and automated email campaigns (71%).
- Globally, Mondays provide the highest open rate (22%) of emails while Saturdays provide the lowest open rate (20.5%).
- Additionally, 99% of users check their inboxes daily–some even up to 20 times.
- Furthermore, 53% of emails are explored on mobile devices; 23% re-open that same email at a later time.
- Introducing a call-to-action button instead of a link can improve conversion rates by 28%.
- Moreover, 68% decide whether or not to open an email based on its sender name.
- The average open rate for emails is 22.86%, with an engaging click-through rate of 3.71%; this far surpasses social media engagement’s click-through rate of 0.58%.
Social Media Marketing Statistics for 2023
In social media statistics, when it comes to choices in buying, trust holds great value. If you have uncertain feelings before purchasing an item, a suggestion or recommendation from somebody who has bought it already can set you on the right track.
This is commonplace in this day and age; people are consistently talking about their experiences using social media platforms.
Marketers use social media to gather audience and fan royalty. It helps them grow their business online and proves to be effective marketing.
- The typical business dedicates 14.9% of its marketing budget to social media endeavours.
- Generally, customers with a good experience with the company will share it with an average of 15 individuals.
- The most used networking sites by B2B promoters for content creation are LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube, respectively.
- Of all businesses, 93% have a presence on Facebook and 86% also tap into Facebook ads as well.
- Nearly all users (91%) access social media from their cell phones, so having a reliable mobile marketing plan that includes networking is important.
- About half of all social media consumers depend upon influencer endorsements.
- Just 5% of businesses employ Facebook video ads in their promotion; this indicates there’s room for those seeking to stand out from the competition.
- The majority of B2B marketers (80%) utilize LinkedIn Advertising while the remaining 96% use it organically.
- Approximately 95% of Pinterest users have the app to support their shopping experience. Half of them have spotted something on Pinterest and purchased it later online.
- Likewise, 64% of shoppers who view branded videos on social media end up making a purchase.
- Research by Forrester revealed that prior to involving a salesperson, as much as 90% of the sales process may be finished with social selling.
- Additionally, LinkedIn identified that 87% of B2B buyers hold a favourable impression of sellers if presented through their professional network.
- According to SuperOffice, 31% of B2B professionals indicated that social selling can assist in developing deeper relationships with customers.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is one of the most important investments for digital marketers looking to expand their business on the internet.
If done accurately, it can be quite affordable (apart from your time), allowing you to use your marketing funds for elements such as advertisement expenses.
In the eyes of many, SEO is a type of art that employs content production, promotion, and branding in order to draw qualified visitors to your site through a search engine organically. These facts highlight precisely why SEO is so significant.
- In 2019, it was thought that the SEO business was worth $80 billion, and by 2023, it is expected to be worth $86 billion.
- Organic search results that show up on Google’s first page are likely to include about 1,447 words.
- The driving forces behind successful SEO are quality content and link building, both of which contribute to more visitors than other sources from social media by 1000%.
- Furthermore, B2B companies generate twice the magnitude of revenue from organic search as compared to other channels.
- To measure the efficacy of content marketing, key metrics such as website traffic, revenue, keyword traffic, conversions, and SEO engine rankings are considered key metrics.
- The fee for an effective SEO campaign varies depending on a company’s size. Major companies usually pay around $10,000–$20,000 each month while small or medium-sized businesses pay approximately $5,000–$10,000 each month.
- Statistics show that only 25% of people go beyond the first page on Google results pages, meaning 75% of potential customers remain within the first SERP (search engine results page). Moreover, 67% of clicks go to the top 5 results displayed through a search engine (Advanced Web Ranking).
- Google states that 90% of web pages receive no organic traffic.
- Furthermore, the average answer to a voice search query is only 29 words long, so to stay competitive in terms of voice searches, use powerful words effectively and make your organic results brief.
- Additionally, a great portion (46%) of Google searches are for local products or services.
- If you are looking to concentrate on local SEO, you are in luck because 28% of these inquiries result in a purchase within 24 hours.
- Google has more than 200 criteria when it comes to ranking websites.
Content Marketing Statistics
For successful content marketing, you must entice viewers to the curated material that you possess with your desired results in mind.
Content marketing is a long-term course of action that necessitates research and setting goals if it is to be employed.
- Around 60% of marketers are repurposing their content 2–5 times in order to create “bite-sized” materials depending on the resources available.
- Also, 82% are actively investing in strategies related to this process, while 10% choose not to participate and 8% don’t know if their company is using it or not.
- Nearly 84% of organisations employ content marketing as part of their strategy but only 35% of them create content marketing teams.
- Content marketing costs 62% less than traditional tactics and yields three times the number of leads.
- Those who employ content marketing experience conversion rates six times greater than those who do not.
- Moreover, out of B2B marketers, nearly 43% have a documented plan for their strategy whereas 80%, 75%, and 70% consider it the most effective way to build recognition for the brand, gain trust/reliability from the audience, and train readers, respectively.
- Finally, 32% feel overwhelmed due to the abundance of accessible content while many prefer to consume 3-5 pieces before connecting with a vendor.
- Ultimately, 81% consider it an essential element of business operations.
- For those who were successful, long posts and articles seemed to be favourable (43% compared to 32% overall).
- 93% of content marketers believe that video has an equally positive or even better conversion rate than other types of content.
- When just beginning the buyer’s journey, 81% of B2B buyers prefer listicles, 72% like infographics, 66% are drawn to blogs, and 62% are viewers of videos.
- If a website does not connect with them in the first 10 seconds, people tend to move on.
- To measure success for content marketing, the major metrics are website traffic, revenue, and keyword traffic and conversions, as well as SEO engine rankings.
Conversion Rate Optimization
To optimize their conversion rate (CRO), marketers seek to increase the percentage of their website visitors who complete an intended action, such as filling out a form, subscribing to an email list, or buying a product.
Surprisingly, many marketing professionals encounter more difficulty in achieving a higher conversion rate than they do in getting traffic. Adhering to good form conversion practises is one effective way to increase CRO.
- Visually enchanting elements like videos on landing pages can boost transformation rates by 86% (Eyeview).
- Econsultancy reveals that typically, only one dollar is invested in attempting to change a single customer out of a total of ninety-two spend gaining them.
- Also, the State of Conversion Optimization Report shows that about two-thirds of small businesses don’t have a conversion rate optimization (CRO) plan that is organised or written down.
- Moreover, Econsultancy points out that not even a fourth of firms are content with their conversion rates.
- To top it all off, CTAs that are tailored to individuals result in 42% more conversions from visitors than generic ones, according to HubSpot.
Online Advertising Statistics for 2023
By utilizing online advertising statistics, you can obtain knowledge of where to allocate your money; so use these facts to compose your plan.
- After being exposed to display ads, individuals are likely to look into brand-specific terms 155% more.
- If a customer sees a retargeting ad, there is a 70% chance that they’ll make a purchase.
- It is 59% more probable that someone will convert if they carry out a search after originally viewing an associated display advertisement.
- A user’s exploration activity increases by 155% after they are served the display ad and 27% of shoppers will perform research on a business after seeing their display ad.
- The highest reported ROI rate for paid ad channels is Facebook and Google Ads.
- Investment in search advertising in 2021 amounted to $144.8 billion.
- Digital marketing around the world is expected to reach $485 billion in 2023 from the estimated $441 billion in 2022.
- Of the total money spent on advertising last year, 50% was online—offline spending was at ($196 billion) while digital expenditure was at ($378 billion).
- An average business draws 15% of website traffic from paid search while only 5% comes from paid social sources.
- Among small businesses, 45% have already implemented a paid search plan with 55% utilizing display ads as well.
Marketers use a variety of tools to reach their target audience. Social media, email, and ecommerce statistics are all important for digital marketing success.
Although the digital marketing industry may not be as glamorous or exciting as some other industries, it is still full of fun facts and trivium that make it interesting to explore.
The latest digital marketing trends continue to evolve with technology, so staying up-to-date on the most effective strategies is essential for any marketer.
By using a combination of social media, email, and e-commerce statistics, marketers can reach their target audience in an effective way. Digital marketing is a powerful tool that can help businesses achieve their goals.